The swell along the coast can be quite spectacular. Then you head up around the point, and the ocean can be dead calm. The difference is amazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Christmas Island is in the Indian Ocean Territory of Australia. It's about 360 km south of Jakarta, Indonesia, and a 3 hour 40 minute flight from Perth. Our local population is largely Chinese, followed by Malay. The rest of us fall into the minority. If you enjoy the virtual tour here, you should come and visit. The real thing is always better :-)
2 comments:
So many great shots, Allison. This is yet another good one! When I lived in Hawaii, the prevailing winds rarely changed. On what was referred to the windward side of the island, huge surf came in. In fact the International surfing championship was held there. Drive the Pali highway back to the leeward side where Waikiki was and the water was totally calm. Since you're out in the Pacific I'm wondering if you're in an area where the prevailing winds act about the same as Hawaii.
Hey Pris. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I'm pleased you like the photos. The whole Island is so photogenic!
I think you've got the wrong side of Australia. We're in the Indian Ocean to the North West of Australia - just below Indonesia (Jakarta).
The wind seems to come from a westerly direction a lot of the time. But different beaches have swell at different times. So the direction must change.
Post a Comment