Thursday, October 22, 2009

weed

A pretty weed.

4 comments:

Carolyn Cordon said...

'weed' is a value judgement that Nature and small children ignore. Nature and children say 'flower' we say 'weed. We are the sadder for our name for such a pretty thing.

I'm with Nature and the kids. Not weed but flower.

Allison and Simon said...

LOL! I love the innocent view of the world held by children. But the reality is that weeds like this one choke out the natural ecology and don't belong here. In their natural environment they are a beautiful flower. Here, they are a beatiful weed. The same goes for all the other "introduced" species on this Island. Many of them are wonderful creatures in their own right, but they are damaging the natural environment. This Island is so small and has so many endemic species - it is too fragile to ignore the facts and side with naive children.

Carolyn Cordon said...

I can see what you are saying Allison. It seems like you have totally got into this new home of yours. I am glad for you. But I miss you too! The poetry at the Prince Albert yesterday was great. Martin is giving up running the readings, but they will continue with a group organising it all.
Martin is going to be concentrating on his music.

Allison and Simon said...

Caroline, that's so sweet of you. I always enjoyed my involvement in poetry, and you were a big part of that. It's nice to know that the Gawler group is so strong and will continue to grow and evolve. Martin has certainly earned the right to enjoy it without the worry of organising it all.

You are right - I am very "into" my new home. As every day goes past I feel more and more a part of the community. For me it's a first - I've never lived in a small community before and I've fallen in love with it. Although I would never say it's perfect - but we won't go into that here :-)